Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Makeup Maintenance and Care

Hey Gorgeous!

I always get asked how often I clean my brushes and how often I replace my makeup; so I decided to break it dowwwwn for ya!

Your makeup is only as good as the tools you use to apply it.  Therefore, your tools must always be in their best working condition.  That means clean brushes, puffs, and sponges AND makeup that's not too old.

Brush Care

A good set of brushes will last several years if you take care of them.  To clean brushes, you can use brush cleaner, gentle soap, or baby shampoo (my favorite).  Put soap in palm and swirl the bristles around on your palm until they are covered in soap.  Rinse thoroughly until soap residue is gone. 

Clean all your brushes every month or two.  I clean mine after every application for sanitation purposes because I am using them on different people, and not just on myself.  For a quick cleaning in between washings, use a spray brush cleaner.  Spritz onto the bristles, and swipe them back and forth on a tissue until all product residues are removed from the brush. 

Sponge Care

High-quality sponges can be washed many times before they need to be discarded.  Alternatively, you can buy inexpensive synthetic sponge wedges that you can throw away after each use.  My favorite is ELF professional wedge sponges that retail for $1.  Stock up!

$6
E.L.F. wedge sponge $1















Makeup Care

You  need to get rid of any makeup that's past its expiration date:

Liquid and cream foundation: 2 years
Concealer: 2 years
Powder: 2 years
Mascara: 3 to 6 months
Lipstick: 12 to 18 months
Lip and eye pencils: 12 to 18 months
Eye shadow: 2 years
Powder blush: 2 years
Cream blush: 2 years
Moisturizer: 2 years
Eye cream: 6 months
Sunscreen: 2 years
Face cream: 2 years


I think it might be time for some spring cleaning--makeup style!  Hope this was informative.  Keep the questions coming.  LOVE IT! 

Re-post this to your facebook page!  Thanks for the love.

Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment